Friday, February 29, 2008

The 1st Appointment

After deciding on what RE to see, making the appointment, and waiting ever so patiently to get in, it was finally my appointment day.

I drove the 55 miles to the office alone, DH had to work. I checked in and proceeded up to the 2nd floor where the IF office is. As I sit down I realise that they have the IF patients waiting right next to the Ob/Gyn patients.......that's tacky!

While I am waiting and getting more nervous by the second, I turn around and there is a pregnant woman sitting behind me with her 3 year old son..... he is strapped into his stroller trying to get her attention while she reads her magazine..... he KNEW that she wasn't watching and began sticking this toy in his mouth. YUCK!! I almost gaged at the thought of what was on that toy.....eesh....

So they call my name and force me to get on my oldest foe; the scale. Hop on off, have a seat and take the BP (WAY high!!!)..... It had to deal with me being nervous and having to pee because I just drove about an hour and a half to get there. I went to the bathroom and took it again... better.

The nurse had me sitting there while she waited for the room to open up..... there were like 16 exam rooms, and they were using only ONE?! So I say "alright" and continue to wait. Out of the exam room walks the PG woman pushing her kid. The nurse goes into the room and comes back out after 30 seconds. She calls me in.

I am sitting there, naked from the waist down with the worlds smallest piece of cloth to cover myself and using one of those diaper pads to keep my bare ass off the exam table that you KNOW that kid was all over. I try to get that feeling out of my head and I look around, there on the table is the bottle of lube......um GROSS!!!..... I know that they use them for everyone, but you couldn't have put it away while the GERM-MONSTER was there?

So after what felt like an ETERNITY (10 minutes) of sitting there by myself, in total silence..... I start to think "Where IS this lady? Did she get lost looking in the OTHER 15 exam rooms?" The midwife comes in and we started talking about the testing protocol and procedures. She seemed a little miffed that I already knew most of what she was going to tell me. Well the truth was that they sent a packet of information about a month ago and I *GASP* actually read it!

We did the family history, personal history and all that jazz..... she told me that DH has to be smoke-free (good luck with that one) and that she will put the orders into the system. As I am sitting down with the nurse again, she is gathering testing information for me and the midwife comes back, "what is your DH's ID#? His name?" I told her all the info except the #, I had to call DH

"Honey, what's your ID#?"

"1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8"

Me- "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8?"

Him- "Yes"

Me-"OK, thanks honey, love you"

The nurse and midwife begin running his number..... so such luck.... they tried it again..... NOPE..

The nurses finally gets the #..... and it was NOTHING like what DH said on the phone.....whatever.... now the midwife is trying to put the orders in the computer and he is not in there.....so they can't put the orders in..... they are yelling back and forth to each-other trying to figure out why it's not working.....

The CNM looked at me like it was MY fault and that I had to fix it..... I said that I would and left.....feeling a little run over and exhausted. While I knew all the things that she was going to tell me..... I guess the experience wasn't all I was hoping for.

No comments: