Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mistake...

(Not TTTC related)

I feel that I have made a mistake in my career choice.... I don't think that teaching is for me...

I have had the WORST couple days overlapping with my master teacher before she goes on maternity leave (possibly Monday)... trying to do a good job as a teacher is hard enough, without having to worry about it being "her" class.... and "her" students.

I am going to be doing 100% of the work while she is gone; daily teaching, lesson planning, field trips, library, computers, homework, grading, assignments, assessments, placements, recommendations, parent conferences, administrative meetings, walking them to the bus and lunch... there is no end. It's a "real" teaching job, except for the fact that I will only get paid 1/3 of the traditional teacher's pay and that it's my "student teaching"

I have had such bad days trying to do everything "her" way and to make sure that I keep her happy.... the kids are confused as to who to listen to and what to do (so am I... it's tough understanding what to do when you don't have the time to read the materials and are reading someone else's plans.

I wonder if it's too late to change my major.......?

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Aww I'm sorry you are going through a rough patch. Hopefully things will start turning around in the coming weeks as you settle into your position.

Mari said...

I'm sorry. Teaching is such a hard job. And settling into someone else's lesson plans must be awful.

But, hang in there! Give yourself a few weeks to get settled. I'm sure you'll be ok!

A huge hug to you!

Ariella said...

I am sorry. Teaching is so hard and doing it someone else's way is even harder. I hope things start turring around at work soon.

JenM said...

Okay, from someone who has been there, it WILL be better when the other teacher leaves on maternity leave. The kids will listen to you and it will be fine.

Hang in there!

Eve and Milo's Mom said...

I had a really rough teaching experience as well. I promise it gets better when it is your own classroom and you can teach the way you want to.